Project Quadruped

Project Q is basicly when an animator and a CG artist combine forces to create a minimum four-legged creature that has to be modelled, rigged and all that jazz for the animator to give it life.

I was teamed up with Tommy Kinnerup and we decided to make a dragon BUT unfortunately, we were'nt allowed to give the creature wings. "A dragon is NOT a dragon without wings" we said and had to come up with something alternative.
This was our moodboard (a collage of inspirations).

We tried many ways to cheat around the "No wings!"-rule....
Here is a drawing of a dragon with mechanical wings strapped on it....


But that was too obvious....




This one has a more abstract smokey/fire thing floating out from its back that could be a substitute for wings...


But that idea died and i kept drawing more....




I drew this to show Tommy how I'd like the scales to be placed so this was my scale-reference.



This is Tommy version...
...and I made my final version looking like this....

Then Tommy literally did an inbetweening of those versions and ended up with....

....this baby here :)
Afterwards, I did some clean-up on it both withouts fins and the big scales and one with everything on.




While I did the clean-up and details, Tommy did the values and some colours.


Here's the link to his blog:
http://tommykinnerup.blogspot.com/



So I can't tell you how exited I am to get to animate our creature.

We named it Gilgamesh :)



Gilgamesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment